Recently I was listening to the Penny Arcade crew play some Dungeons & Dragons with the PVP dude via this podcast. I had left the iPod running when I turned off the truck. When I re-started the truck with Emmalee in it, she was treated to what sounded to her like 4 grown men playing "Make Believe". I turned off the iPod before any of the players became excited/upset enough to swear, but Em was very intrigued. I did my best to explain my own limited understanding of D&D, but this only served to convince her that we needed to try it out.
Here we run into a couple of issues.
First, during my formative years some friends of mine attempted to play this mysterious thing known as D&D, but we never got past the first step (Character Creation). Unfortunately for us we didn't know anyone willing/able to be our "Game Master". For those unfamiliar with D&D we were "all dressed up with nowhere to go". We had our merry band of adventurers all set up and ready to explore and/or fight, but with nary a Dungeon nor a Dragon in site. So despite my childhood desire, I never actually learned to play the game.
Second, the resources for D&D are pretty extensive. While my good friend G had stacks of books/maps/adventures when we were young (and despite the fact that he is one of the most organized guys I know), those supplies have apparently disappeared somewhere along his journey from boy to man.
Lastly, D&D is not a game for 2 people. The "optimal" group size is 5 adventurers and one "Game Master".
Despite all this, Em and I ARE going to play Dungeons and Dragons! I've committed to figuring out a way to make it work. I've bought all the books necessary. I've picked up some dice, and miniatures. I'm reading through the "Dungeon Master's Guide" so that I can referee the rules for whomever ends up in Emmalee's group of adventurers. The top of the list for people I would want in that group would be "Da' Guys".
This is my call to action. G has stepped forward to join the group, but I think/hope more of Da' Guys might be willing to answer the call. 2 hours, once a month, hang out with me and my awesome daughter, suspend disbelief, and play what is basically a board game. Think about it.
If you are interested let me know. If you are really interested check out the quickstart guide. If you are not interested, that's cool, we'll let you know how it turns out.
You can't tell me that this doesn't look like fun:











5 comments:
These pictures are sweet! I love the Jedi sans hair (and arms and legs in one picture).
I don't know if my member of Da Guys will participate--he's just not that into it. (Honestly, we've snickered at people in the park playing D&D, sorry.) But I hope you get enough people to join and play!
Understood. RPG is a tough enough sell without those darn LARPers making the rest of us look bad.
We'll get enough, I guarantee it.
Em had a good time taking the pics.
When do we start!
Anytime.
Em and I have rolled her character (Beastmaster Ranger) and we are probably going to do a little "play test" with it sometime this weekend. Not necessarily part of "THE CAMPAIGN", more like a random skirmish to help both she and I get the game mechanics down a little better. Depending on your schedule and/or desire to drive... we could totally figure out a way for you to get in on this "play test" (i.e. we could do it Friday night at my parent's house in PG, or anytime Saturday in SLC. Either works for Em and I).
Other than the "play test" stuff, I'd like to do something big-ish on Worldwide D&D Game Day (September 19). After that it will probably depend on the schedules of the people who want to play, but my goal is to be able to get together and play/eat/hangout once a month.
P.S. if you wanted to roll up a character the official D&D character builder is the way to go (IMHO), especially since it is $free.99 to build characters up to level 3.
P.P.S... this applies to anyone who might be even slightly interested in playing with Em and I, not just G :)
All right, I qualify as "slightly interested" and I might be able to get motivated by Sep 19th.
Post a Comment