Saturday, September 27, 2008

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (season 1)



I almost skipped right over this one. There is a lot of good TV out there that really is worth watching (BSG alone makes a strong argument that the best writers in Hollywood are working in TV not feature films). But in the end I gave in and watched it. I have to say it wasn't all that bad. To be fair, I have a soft spot for the Terminator franchise (there's a few really great stories in the Dark Horse Comics).

I'm a little enamored by this idea that stories are really just a collection of words, images, noises, sometimes even songs depending on the medium... and that really great stories are only great because the reader/listener/watcher emotionally connects with something bigger than the sum of the parts (there's got to be a greek word or phrase for that idea right?). That said, The Sarah Connor Chronicles is only a mediocre TV show, but (IMHO) it happens to take place in a fascinating universe.
The acting is OK.
The writing is alright.
The cinematography is acceptable for TV.
The effects are also OK... for TV.
The music is great actually... all the time.
The ideas are pretty good, but occasionally phenomenal. (i.e. a terminator who has all of his disguise (flesh) burned off needs to replace it (right back to the roots in scifi horror); Sara Connor's psychiatrist from T2 becoming a believer!; sleeper cells; time travel paradigms; and hard choices;)
There's scifi gold in there. Sure sometimes you have to squint to see it, but it's in there.

3 out of 5 ways to avert Skynet nuking the planet.

6 comments:

Greg said...

I totally agree. I really liked the first season and the season 2 opener was pretty good as well. I like how they are adding on to the Terminator universe.

Unknown said...

Hot girl + hot guy= bad Fox TV show. It's a Fox show with a Terminator twist. The actress portraying Sarah Connor, is trying to hard to act like Sarah Connor. Ease up, mother of the guy who leads the rebellion against the machines. And I didn't think that John Connor could get any more annoying after Ed Furlong's(?) performance, but...Terminator isn't about all the little relationships and side stories, it's about trying to stay alive while a killing machine is out to get you at all costs. Hasta la vista, baby!

jaacen said...

I can certainly see the "FOXTV" aspect of it (one of the (many) things you have to squint to see past). But I'm still hopeful... and it really does have some genuinely glorious moments (headless t1000 "borrowing" a head so that he can travel without arousing TOO much suspicion)

Unknown said...

The Fox cancellation is surprisingly close to the opening of Terminator: Salvation, don't you think?

jaacen said...

Yeah... I can't figure out why they wouldn't at least want to wait and see if they couldn't get some additional residual interest next season from the movie this summer.

For what it's worth I was still really enjoying what I had seen of this show (haven't caught up since the mid-season hiatus).

Well, now I guess I have time to catch up on Fringe before Fox decides to hate that show as well.

Unknown said...

according to the reports Fringe got picked up for a second season. Towards the end of this season it started to take a more X-Files for a new generation approach. Kathy and I still enjoy it and made sure we got the kids to bed before eight so we could watch it uninterrupted.